Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"Once in a BLUE MOON"




How many times in our lives have we heard the expression, "once in a blue moon?" Usually the phrase is used when referring to something that doesn't happen often and such is the case here.

New Year's Eve will bring a true "once in a blue moon" phenomena.
(And here I must pause to thank Janet Durbin of Whimsical Publications for bringing this rare tidbit to my attention. Thank you for the trivia, Janet. See what you inspired? LOL)

The second full moon of the month of December will be shining down when we leave 2009 behind us and leap forward into 2010. This hasn't happened in almost two decades.

What is a blue moon, anyway?

Wikipedia (in agreement with several other sources) gives the following simplified explanation:
  • The Farmers' Almanac defined blue moon as an extra full moon that occurred in a season; one season was normally three full moons. If a season had four full moons, then the third full moon was named a blue moon.
  • Recent popular usage defined a blue moon as the second full moon in a calendar month, stemming from an interpretation error made in 1946 that was discovered in 1999.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_moon
And now that we know, technically, what a blue moon is what does it mean for us mere mortals?

Does this blue moon bring a special significance to the 2010 New Year?

Is it a sign for the future? Perhaps a harbinger of doom? More wars, disease, and disasters? God forbid!

Or will it bring good things and happier times? World peace, major medical breakthroughs, an improved economy? We can but hope!

For me personally, this blue moon is bringing in a New Year and with it a chance to spend more time with my loved ones, to be a better friend, and to make a special effort to "pay it forward."

Hopefully it will also bring more time to write and share that writing with others.

CONTEST: I'm offering a free ebook download of Following Destiny (or two) in a random drawing from all comments made on this post until midnight (Eastern US time) on New Year's Day. Please include email contact info in your comment. The winner (or winners) will be announced on this blog the afternoon of January 2nd and notified via email.

Thank you all for a wonderful, supportive 2009. It's been quite a year hasn't it?
Now let's ride that blue moon into 2010 and make it an even better one!

Have a happy, safe, and blessed New Year!!!
Rebecca

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Rebecca! I hope the Blue Moon signifies only good things to come in 2010. That's what I'm praying for anyway. :)

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness!!! I did not know we were going to have a "blue moon" the end of this year and beginning of 2010!! Everyone needs to keep good thoughts and pray that this will bring nothing but good things. I am not enough going to think bad things. THINK POSITIVE!!

    Judy (magnolias_1@msn.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca!

    LOL I hear "once in a blue moon" and I think of that (is Ronnie Millsap?) song where the lyric is, "Once in a blue moon, I'll do something right." Oh, gotta love the golden oldies of country music!

    I've got to work on scheduling my time so I can spend time with my family and fit in my writing. My ulitmate goal is to finish my book!!

    Happy New Year and Happy Blue moon, Rebecca!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, I blogged about the Blue Moon, too. So I had to pop on over and say hi.

    I'm hoping my husband finds a job. He's been out of work for seven months. It's been tough. So here's hoping for a better year in 2010! (I might have to try some of my wishing advice I mentioned in my blog.) lol

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY COOL, REBECCA!!! I didn't know this!!!! I knew a "blue moon" was a real thing (not literally blue, but...a real happening...) but didn't know when it occurred, etc. Thanks for the info. Now I must go over and read Karen's blog too about this. You guys are so "on top of things"--I'm really behind on everything right now. I've had a sick dog. He's turned the corner now, but we were really worried about him. So I'm hoping that 2010 will bring lots of wonderful things for all of us, and that we will all be able to have the successes we are so deserving of (I am going to think positively for our entire group of writers!) LOL
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait a minute! Wait a minute! What blue moon? Everyone knows it's made out of GREEN cheese!!! LOL

    (Is that because the little green men from Mars are hiding out there???)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa and Judy,
    Thanks for taking time to stop by. We definitely need to keep positive thoughts and pray for good things for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for coming over. I was thinking more of Elvis singing "Blue Moon of Kentucky." LOL But we do both love those oldies. I used to love to crank up the stereo and embarrass my son when I dropped him off at school. Wonder if I can do that to the grands??? Hmmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen and Cheryl,
    So glad you stopped to visit. Karen's blog is fantastic. Blue Moon Blogging IS contagious. LOL Here's wishing everyone has a better year in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Miss Mae,
    Green Cheese? Imagine the smell!!!
    That's enough to make you take a big swig of your special lemonade.

    Thanks for all the smiles you've given me this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blue Moon? Well, I guess ignorance can keep one out of trouble by not knowing about it. But I really thought it was just an expression.
    Hmm....nice to learn something new every day, isn't it? Can't be all bad.

    Yeah, Rebecca we do tend to make too little effort when it comes to loved ones. I'm as guilty as anyone. the only difference is, I live with mine.

    I'd like to think this coming year is mixed with good and bad because I learned some time ago, you can't have good without having bad, like you can't have sunshine without a little rain. It means to me that you can't appreciate one without having the other. And if you think about it, that's very true.

    Interesting subject.
    Love and blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always a pleasure to help "inspire" someone with fun trivia. Oh, and by the way, did you also know that a blue moon happens about every 2 1/2 years? It's only the one on New Years Eve that happens every 19 years. More food for thought. LOL

    Please do not enter me in the drawing, Rebecca. I just wanted to post a reply :)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rita,
    Thanks for coming by and being such a help to me this year. Hope we can do even more in the coming year.
    I do agree that it takes a bit of rain to make us really enjoy the sunshine. I pray we see lots of good times with just the right amount of rain in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Janet,
    Thanks for the trivia help. I love it and my hubby says my head is full of it (useless facts and figures, that is). LOL So glad you stopped in.

    ReplyDelete

Please support this blog by leaving your comments. Happy writing and reading.