Thursday, May 2, 2013
May is LUPUS Awareness Month
Ten important facts you may or may not know about Lupus:
1. There is no known cause and no known cure for Lupus.
2. Lupus is very difficult to diagnose and there is no ONE test which will give this specific diagnosis.
3. Many physicians and their staffs are uninformed as to symptoms, diagnosis, or treatment of Lupus.
3. Lupus now affects 1.5 million Americans.
4. Living with Lupus is often compared to having a recurring flu during a flare and a mild cold at other times, but it is always with the patient.
5. Lupus patients may not look sick at all, or they may suffer from skin rashes (particularly across the face, neck, and chest), severe puffiness and swelling, visible and audible shortness of breath, and stiff hesitant movements.
6. Lupus patients often suffer with severe fatigue, unexplained fevers, muscle and joint pains, hair loss, rashes, confusion and forgetfulness (called Lupus Fog), seizures, kidney failure, strokes, and heart and lung problems (particularly pericarditis or pleurisy).
7. Depression and feelings of guilt are often prominent in Lupus patients due to required lifestyle changes and limitations as well as reactions to medications.
8. Lupus is a non-transmittable disease, although birth children may inherit the tendencies to develop the disease.
9. The current treatments for Lupus are anti-malaria drugs, steroids, or chemotherapy -- or the treatment of each symptom as it occurs, avoidance of ultra-violet light, less stress, and extra rest.
10. With research and medical advancements, the life expectancy of someone diagnosed early with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus has increased from 3 years to an almost normal lifetime.
PLEASE Become a
Put Social Media to Work for Lupus Awareness!
Display lupus awareness through your profile and timelines pictures!
Tell your friends on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc) that May is Lupus Awareness Month and why lupus is a cruel mystery to you. Change your profile icon and timeline photo to a Lupus Awareness Month logo or banner. To download: select your favorite icon from the stock of images then right click and choose “Save Image as”. Don't forget the hashtags #lupus, #putonpurple, and #cruelmystery.
For more information on Lupus please visit any of these sites:
Thank you for visiting and for your continued kindnesses and support.
Posted by Rebecca J Vickery